Friday, July 23, 2010


I went to the grocery store last night with my little brother and mom. It wasn't particularly crowded, and I was a little more than energetic having previously downed a sprite-slash-diet pepsi with caffeine-slash-fruit punch from Panera Bread. My little brother, Stephen, and I soon drifted from my mom and had mini dance-parties in the vacant isles to the sound of the "smooth and contemporary" radio that was playing overhead. I even attempted a cartwheel or two en route to the frozen foods isle (likely exposing my embarrassing flowered underwear from underneath my dress).

I spotted two sub-21-looking people with a loaded shopping cart, one a boy and one a girl. It was quarter to eight (15 minutes before the selling of alcohol became illicit for the night), and they were loitering in front of the assortment of beers. There were four 24-packs of beer in their cart, all of different varieties. The boy was talking into a cell phone, and I heard the faintest sense of nervousness in his voice. The girl stood on the opposite side of the shopping cart, her countenance expressionless.

"I don't even know. This isn't for me," the boy said into a cell phone.

I eyed them curiously for a moment, and then we continued our pursuit to find an acceptable brand of popsicle . I started to do lunges, and Stephen began to do high-knee skips. I suddenly heard a voice from behind me.

"Have either of you guys seen the mozzarella sticks?" It was a man, maybe in his mid-twenties. I don't remember much of what he was wearing, but he possessed the lingering odor of cigarettes. He pronounced mozzarella like "moot-za-rella". Out of the corner of my eye I saw him continue to walk down the isle, not looking at my brother or myself. I guess he only half expected a response.

I quickly scanned the dairy section and I didn't see the familiar packaging of cheese sticks. "Uh, nope. I don't see them. Sorry."

"Ugh. I'm dying here," he half-muttered to himself as he walked away. I watched him, and noticed with a sudden pang that he had a limp in his step. I was suddenly terrified that he actually was dying, and maybe his last wish was to just have some mozzarella sticks.

The Shins - "Sea Legs"

[I don't like repeating artists on my recommendations, let alone songs on the same album, but I really love this track.]

☀K☁

1 amusing musings:

Shalia☮♥♫ said...

That was an amazing story!!! Haha mozzarella sticks

Post a Comment

beautiful

Blog Archive

 
 
Copyright © making mountains
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com