Saturday, July 10, 2010


I had an almost enlightening experience the other night. Almost.

For the third night in a row, I opened my old screen window (almost expertly... that thing's tough to open) and slipped outside onto my roof. I was welcomed by the cool, night air gently lapping at my cheeks and the black, glitter-y sky. I dragged my quilt, comforter and pillow across the green shingles, and I could feel their little green rocks sticking to the bottom of my summer-calloused feet. Even though I was a mere ten feet away from my bedroom, a rush of adventure ballooned in my chest and I smiled to myself in the dark as I set up camp.
When I was content in my spot, I crawled under the sheets and stared up at the beautiful non-light-polluted sky. The rustling noises that I had been making quieted suddenly. The nighttime sounds that I had previously muffled emerged from the dark woods. At that moment, I would have given anything to have someone sitting next to me. But I sucked in a breath and made up a theory: the longer I stayed up there, the less scared I would be. At first, each snapping twig and rustling branch made my stomach lurch. After nearly an hour had passed, I craved the sound of a snapping twig, or heavy footsteps. There was a sense of security that the roof gave me. No one could get me, and I was invincible.
My thoughts began to drift, and I was eventually lulled to sleep.
It didn't last long. I was jolted awake about two hours later for no reason that I could fathom. Everything was different. Everything was dark, and my internal wall of invincibility had vanished. It was scary. I could have sworn that I heard feet dragging on the road next to my house, and I knew that if someone was there I could easily be seen. Eyes without a face. In a rush of adrenaline, I quickly gathered up my things and crawled back through my window and into the safety of my bedroom.

3 amusing musings:

Candy said...

Lol. Haha. :p

Candy said...

And beautiful post. :)

Kay said...

Thanks! :D

Post a Comment

beautiful

Blog Archive

 
 
Copyright © making mountains
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com