Monday, October 10, 2011


We all live in a world dominated by apples.
Normally, this wouldn’t be much of a problem. Apples come in all different varieties: red, shiny, green, rotten, yellow, soft, small, large, bruised. Some apples are tastier than others. There are apples that are happy and there are apples that are sad; that’s just the way it is. Possessing any of these given traits doesn’t make an apple any less of an apple.
I’ve come to realize, actually, that I’m not an apple at all.
I’m a tangerine.
This isn’t a relatively new revelation. I’ve always had a feeling that I was different. Not good different, but not bad different, either. All fruits are good fruits: high in vitamin C and practical in the prevention of scurvy. Even the most rancid, moldy, overripe fruits make for ideal compost. Sure, it’s not every fruit’s dream, but in some ways it’s better than to have never been grown at all.
In a crowd of fruit the color of autumn leaves, I’m hard to distinguish. I can fit in the palm of your hand, and there’s usually another taller apple stationed in front of me. When I first learned of my identity, I felt as if I were at a disadvantage. I would hide in the crowd of apples. I wanted more than anything to be one. I laid low and observed them like a lonely birdwatcher. I pasted apple skin onto my orange rind, often in mismatched patches. They would brown and peel and eventually fall off. The scattered pieces on the floor served as a sad reminder that never, in my life, could I be like the others. The harder I tried, the less I felt like I belonged. My self-esteem plummeted. I was alone.
Such disheartening thoughts fetter one’s personality.
Upon later reflection, I eventually learned that being a tangerine has its benefits. Apples are often outspoken; I, however, am a quiet observer. I studied the apples and observed their nature like Jane Goodall attempting to mingle with the chimpanzees. It took me many years to befriend the apples, but I was patient. My tangerine nature allowed me to excel in school and take in the world around me in a way unique to everyone else.
I never did become an apple, as I had once hoped. And I’m glad. I have the best of both worlds. I mingle with apples (among all kinds of other fruit) and still retain my tangerine qualities. Aside from an orange rind and fleshy interior, I am still a quiet observer. I take the world in little bits at a time, and this has allowed me to become an artist of both words and images.

☀K☁

P.S. This is my unfinished college application essay. Whadaya think? :)

5 amusing musings:

Miss Angie said...

I think it's fun and unique, I'm loving the comparisons.

Hippie Grandma said...

you are amazing.
that's all. :)
and i think it's perfect in every way.
very distinguishing.

Grace said...

This is really great! It's a creative analogy, and yet, it makes perfect sense.

mack said...

I absolutely love this. In every single way.

Brilliant. :)

Eeshie said...

OMG YOU MADE FRUITS POETIC.

<3

Post a Comment

beautiful

 
 
Copyright © making mountains
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com